Monday 11 May 2015

SATURDAYS by Niran

Image result for saturday

Saturdays are the best! No work, no class, nothing; just to rest and play and relax all day long.  Boy, do I love Saturdays! Sweet blessed Saturdays.
I woke up at 9:00 am that wonderful Saturday morning, yawned and grinned at my roommates.  The date was 8th May, 2010. After the good morning greetings and all that, I brushed my teeth and opened my locker for a breakfast of cornflakes. Imagine my surprise when I lifted the cereal box and found it empty! Oh well, i must have finished the last of it and forgot that I did. 


I got water, had my bath and dressed to visit the closest Automated Teller Machine (ATM) to my hostel. I figured on withdrawing some cash and heading to town to replenish my stock of provision. As i got to the ATM, i received an alert on my mobile phone. Already smiling, I opened the text message to find that the sum of 5,501.00 naira had been debited from my account leaving a balance of 499.00. 

My money!! I didn’t know whether to sit down and cry, hit the ATM till it dislodged its contents or starting cursing my bank. Dejected, i headed back to my hostel silently bemoaning my loss and mentally threatening legal action against my now ex-banking institution. I got back to my room, opened my locker again to take out my emergency garri and milk except that, my emergency supplies were nowhere to be found! 

Seriously, what is happening?! I know that i didn’t touch that garri because i didn’t have any emergency to warrant me using it........or did i? Did anybody ask me for garri recently? Even if someone asked me for garri, how could my milk just disappear? Could someone have broken into my locker? But my locker is safe; i use three padlocks for goodness’ sakes!
These thoughts and more passed through my mind in quick succession as i lay on my bed in serious contemplation. Mercifully, sleep came soon after and claimed me. 

I woke to the insistent ring of my mobile phone at 3pm. Shortly after, a message came in reminding me of the departmental executive meeting at the School auditorium for 3pm. Exco meeting ontop empty belle! At that moment, i was so angry i could have smashed my phone on the floor but i reined in my anger, washed my face and rinsed my mouth with some mouthwash then made myself presentable for the meeting. 

I dutifully recorded the minutes of the hour-long meeting with the proposals and counter-proposals while my stomach complained bitterly and threatened to digest my intestinal lining in lieu of food. My muscles were on the edge of mutiny; my energy reserves almost depleted when the meeting ended. I quickly called the president aside and begged him to lend me some money before i collapsed with hunger. He gave me 2000.00 (such a nice chap!) and i ran off to the closest cafeteria. I decided to get the food as takeaway so that my crush (who walked into the cafeteria at that moment) won’t see me attack the food ravenously and conclude that i had no table manners. 

I paid for my food (rice, spaghetti and plantain) and headed for my room with anticipation. Just as i got close to the entrance of my room, one idiot carelessly tossed a banana peel which i stepped right on, lost my footing, hit my head and............ BLACKOUT
                              ************************************************************************************************

My roommate shook me awake at 9:00 am that Saturday morning. The date was 8th May, 2010. I greeted my roommates, said my prayers, brushed my teeth and opened my locker for a quick breakfast of cornflakes. I was surprised when I lifted the cereal box and found it empty! Oh well, maybe i finished it and forgot that i did.

I got water, had my bath and got dressed before heading to the cafeteria for breakfast. I got to the cafeteria and made my order only for me to stick my hand into my pocket to make payment and find a big hole. I could have sworn that hole was not there the day before! I apologized to the attendant and quickly left the cafeteria after returning the food i couldn’t pay for. I was almost embarrassed but thank God the guy na my person. I got back to my room, opened my locker again to take out my emergency garri and milk except that, my emergency supplies were nowhere to be found!
Something strange was going on! I know that i didn’t touch that garri because i didn’t have any emergency to warrant me using it........or did i? Did anybody ask me for garri recently? Even if someone asked me for garri, how could my milk just disappear? Could someone have broken into my locker? But my locker is safe; i use three padlocks for goodness’ sakes!

These thoughts and more passed through my mind in quick succession as i lay on my bed in serious contemplation. Mercifully, sleep came soon after and claimed me.
I woke to the insistent ring of my mobile phone at 3pm. Shortly after, a message came in reminding me of the departmental executive meeting at the School auditorium for 3pm. Exco meeting ontop empty belle! Well, dem no send me errand the day wey i contest election so i have no one to blame. I washed my face and rinsed my mouth with some mouthwash then made myself presentable for the meeting.
I dutifully recorded the minutes of the hour-long meeting with the proposals and counter-proposals while my stomach rumbled and grumbled. I was on the edge of fainting from sheer hunger; my energy reserves almost depleted when the meeting ended. I quickly called the president aside and begged him to lend me some money. He gave me 2000.00 (such a nice chap!) and i ran off to the cafeteria. I decided to get the food as takeaway so that i could attack the food without anyone of those forming babes judging me.

I paid for my food (rice, spaghetti and beans) and headed for my room with anticipation. Just as i got close to the entrance of my room, one idiot carelessly tossed a banana peel which i narrowly missed slipping on. As i turned to give him a piece of my mind, someone flew out of my room in a hurry and the door hit my face with a forceful WHAM. The result........ BLACKOUT
                   ************************************************************************************************

The insistent ring of my phone woke me at 9:00 am that Saturday morning. The date was 8th May, 2010. I opened my eyes feeling thoroughly dazed. A part of my mind kept telling me that something was very wrong but i couldn’t put my finger on it. I washed my face, brushed my teeth and opened my locker for a quick breakfast of cornflakes. I was a little suspicious when I lifted the cereal box and found it empty but i brushed it off; maybe i finished it and forgot.

I got water, had my bath and got dressed and decided to go to the cafeteria for breakfast. I stuck my hand into my pocket and found a hole in it. Very strange since i could have sworn i kept money inside the previous night and there was no hole. Thank God i did not go to the cafeteria before checking the amount i had on me. It would have been absolutely embarrassing! I decided to withdraw from the ATM closest to my hostel. As i got to the ATM, i received an alert on my mobile phone. I opened the text message to find that the sum of 5,501.00 naira had been debited from my account leaving a balance of 499.00.

I was pondering this turn of events as i headed back to my room thinking to just take some milk and reserve my reserve garri for a little while later. I opened my locker again to take out the milk except that, the garri, milk and sugar were nowhere to be found!

Something strange was definitely going on! I know most definitely that i didn’t touch that garri. Nobody asked me for garri or milk recently na. Could someone have broken into my locker? Was this someone’s idea of a joke? If it was, the joke was in poor taste. I lay on my bed thinking till sleep claimed me.

I woke to the insistent ring of my mobile phone at 3pm. Shortly after, a message came in reminding me of the departmental executive meeting at the School auditorium for 3pm. I debated with myself whether to go or not; my sense of responsibility won out in the end so I washed my face and rinsed my mouth with some mouthwash then made myself presentable for the meeting.

I dutifully recorded the minutes of the hour-long meeting with the proposals and counter-proposals. I kept having a sense of déjà vu while my stomach begged for something to digest.  When the meeting was over, I quickly called the president aside and begged him to lend me some money. He gave me 2000.00 and i went to the cafeteria. I decided to buy the food and eat it right there as i did not want to tempt Fate. I paid for my food (fufu and egusi soup with fish), got a couple of sachet water and headed for a table with my food tray.

As i took the first bolus of fufu, the journey down my gullet did not go smoothly so i took a sip of water to aid its movement. I started coughing so i covered the food and ran outside with a sachet of water to properly take care of myself. With each sip of water i took, i coughed even harder and i started wheezing. I began to get lightheaded and images got more and more blurry.
BLACKOUT
                         ************************************************************************************************

I woke up at 9:00 am that wonderful Saturday morning, yawned and grinned at my roommates.  Saturdays are the best! No work, no class, nothing; just rest and play and relax all day long.  Boy, do I love Saturdays! Sweet blessed Saturdays. 
The date was 8th May, 2010.

After the good morning greetings and all that, I brushed my teeth and opened my locker for a breakfast of cornflakes. I lifted the cereal box and found it empty. I searched for the garri and the milk; nowhere to be found. I looked for the previous night’s change and found a hole instead.

NO! NO! NO!! THIS IS NOT REAL!! THIS CAN’T BE REAL!!! 

SOMEONE PLEASE, WAKE ME FROM THIS NIGHTMARE!! 

PLEEEEEEEEAAASEEEEE!!!!!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment