Friday 31 October 2014

I AM NIGERIAN



My childhood ran in streams and bush paths
When smells of iru pervaded the air
With firewood smoke, we appeased our hunger
From coal-black pots over slim wood stacks
And games and folksongs ruled our days
Under the silver moonlight’s gaze
Cheery we were, raised on the land
A happy child; young Nigerian

My teenage years, phases of change
The joys of parties and fast songs

The stench of cigarettes and peer pressure
The drive to hold white-collar jobs
The dreams of having fancy houses
And servants at our beck and call
To leave the past and strive forward
Neglect my roots, embrace westernization
I am still Nigerian

I am so successful, I stink of wealth
My dog wears clothes as a pampered pet
My children chauffeured in fancy cars
My wife plaiting? Never!! Its Brazilian hair
We shop at marts and eat at classy restaurants
A menu and schedule for every step
Burgers and pastries for healthy snacks
No hint of vernacular is permitted in my house
But English and Spanish and French, we love
Did someone say I am not Nigerian?

Why go to the village? It’s so backward
No cinemas or shopping malls to while the time
My children’s speech makes me so proud
My legacy to them, a British education
CNN and MTV are my household’s gods
And every modern convenience do I have
To ease my limbs and be my comfort
And expose my offspring to the global scene
I think I am still Nigerian

See God made man to have comfort and multiply
And every barrier must be broken down
So I teach my kids the way of the world
To impact their children and make me proud
But I have lost touch with my heritage
Dim are the sounds of my childhood
The scents of wet clay that my hands molded
The twilight draws closer, the truth unveiled
Can I still say I am Nigerian? 


-Niran

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi nhậtgửi hàng đi pháp uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete