Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Corper Diaries (Pt 3) - Na so drilling be?


Where was I? Oh yes, the Man-O-War drills. Amala and ewedu makes my brain load a bit slow after a nap like that. So, back to the matter, we went back to the Man-O-War village. This time, we were dressed in the Khaki overalls with the NYSC crested vest, our white socks and the jungle boots (this is termed '7/7 dressing'). Once again, we took up those funny songs and chants till we got to our destination.
The very first thing we did involved the males and females of my platoon (proudly repping Platoon 2) and the other platoon in separate tug-of-war competitions. As this is a factual account of my camp adventures, it pains me to admit that my platoon lost the tug-of-war both times (I'm still repping Platoon 2 sha). After that, we spread out and took up this chant:

Din din the body, Din din the body
I do like this, I do like that
I balance well...

At the point of 'I balance well', we rested on our haunches because we were doing some serious calisthenics to the rhythm of that chant. That done, we broke up into groups and were led by separate instructors to different parts of the obstacle courses and they explained how we were going to tackle them. The first one we faced was 'The 12-ft Wall'.
The idea was for two strong and tall guys to use their bodies as supports so the rest of the group can scale the wall. As I see de way wey dem big ladies for my group dey step on those guys ehn, I appreciated God for my slim build. If no be so, e fit be me dem for step on like that. After we all scaled the wall, we posed for a snapshot (memories!!), then we proceeded to the next obstacle course. A big log was set atop two metal bars and the concept was for two strong guys to once again use their bodies as supports for the rest of the group. They would lift us into the air, individually, and we would grab the log, cling to it tightly, roll over and drop quietly on the other side.

Then on to the next course where we would swing from bar to bar (there were 5 metal bars in a row) without our feet touching the ground once we started. I daresay, the Tarzan cartoons I watched in my childhood gave me ideas on how to swing. Once through, we had to pass through a tire-lined tunnel then after emerging, we would run a bit and leap over 'The 6ft Wall'. That one was actually easy for me to do (afterall, I and my younger brother had been jumping the fence encompassing our house for years! My mom must not know this).
As I landed, I noticed that the next obstacle involved crawling under barbed wire. I had always fancied joining the Armed Forces (especially the Navy. Their uniforms blow my mind and the respect accorded them! Sorry, I am digressing), so i took it as a personal challenge to do it very well. E no easy oh!! The wire was well and truly low; I crawled so flat I must have looked like a human earthworm as I wriggled, trying not to let the wire touch any part of my body. I finally got to the other side and carefully slid my body out of the way then stood up. If that is a taste of what drills in the Armed Forces are like, I no dey do again!!

The last obstacle left was the rope bridge. I made my way over to the queue at the rope bridge. I was delighted to find Cynthia in front of me! "Hi", I began. She replied, "Hello". "These drills are crazy but fun, shey? I hope you are not stressed?", I asked. She smiled,"I enjoyed it".
I tell you, I would gladly get lost in those eyes. Those round orbs of black sprinked with bits of brown at the edges. Those white eyes that should be used as advert for Hypo; whiter than snow (though some say snow is not technically white, but you get the point). And her smile is dazzling, seriously dazzling. I guess I am beginning to sound like a lovesick puppy now so, back to the matter. There we were, just making small talk when it got to her turn at the rope. I seized the moment and asked her a question I had been longing to ask her. She replied and took her turn at the rope bridge.
When she came down safely, my heart hammering, I climbed the short ladder that would take me to the top. I saw that the walkway was tied in big knots at specific intervals. I carefully placed my feet alternately on each of those knots while gripping the ropes that served as supports at the side tightly. I made my way slowly (I have something of a phobia for heights but nothing would stop me from taking that rope bridge), slowly to the other end and slid down the rope till I dropped on the ground. When everybody had taken their turns at all the obstacles (or the ones they could handle without fainting), we formed up and marched back to the main camp chanting as usual.

So, here I am. I have done the drills.
Adrenaline flowed, my heart ran marathon at certain instances and I have the memories (and pictures) to share with friends and family. And Cynthia? I am meeting her at 7:00pm this evening or 1900 hours as the army people will say. I do not know what will happen.
I have taken the first step. I can only hope for the best and of course, I'll play the gentleman role very well this evening. Keep your fingers crossed, eh? And it's the whistle again. This evening should be fun!



By Oluwasina Niran
https://www.facebook.com/niranneil?fref=ts

4 comments:

  1. Addicted!!!!
    am enjoying this story
    Part 4, canot wait

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbey, thanks a lot, part 4 is ready and will come out soon. Keep enjoying the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rili love dis cnt wait for d nxt episode

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next episode comes up soon, thank you.

    ReplyDelete