Thursday 7 August 2014

Nothing



The Young Man:We laughed, held hands; in delight soaring
And every day was full of song
The games we played, my confidence growing
I was sure I had found where I belong

Swift as wind, the season changed
Moody, silent; her laughter ceasing
And when I ask what's the matter?
The reply's "Nothing"
**********************************
The Teen girl:He was so sweet, swept me off my feet
Like fairy tales, Prince Charming come to life
The days were dreams, and when depressed
I could count on him to lift me up

He bought me gifts, shy were his smiles
In giving them, so I'll would tickle
And tease, his smiles would bloom like golden roses
They filled me with warmth, living energy

Now, I am surprised and a little sad
He doesn't call or text or come by
My heart breaking, I asked what's wrong.
He said to me, "Babe, it's nothing"
******************************
The Parent:My little one with twinkling eyes
Cherubic face, energetic mien
His tiny hands come seeking me
And when he says 'Mama', all is at peace

My baby girl with deep dimples
Little princess, her fingers grasp imperiously
Daddy would buy the world for you, you know?
Just to have you giggle, happy always

My little one has grown a bit
He rarely calls for his mama now
He's found new friends but am always here
To shower him love with a listening ear

My baby girl now wears lipstick
Short gowns, mascara; she's growing fast
I ask, "where to?" She rolls her eyes
"I'm not a lil girl, Daddy. I'll be safe"

My little one's been silent lately
In his room, I hear him pace
At times I hear some worried sighs
And if I ask? I get "Nothing, Mom"

My baby girl, my pride and joy
Her effervescence has been dimmed
At times, I catch the shadow of tears on her
I gently ask, her smile is wan and yet she says, "It's really nothing, Daddy"
*************************************
The Poet:It was created to convey peace
To still doubts, to quell unease
The genius behind it deserves a stick
A cane, a whip; the word is sick

A seed of worry it nurtures to fruit
Like a shadow tree, it appears mute
If words can break, it's a sledgehammer
And dams burst forth, sad waters gather

'Nothing' lasts forever, or so it's said
'Nothing' is gonna change my love for you
'Nothing' is wrong, I'll be alright
These sentences come back to slap your face

Fearless hunters may fear 'nothing' till death comes calling
Students may fear 'nothing' till they get poor grades
'Nothing' is as 'nothing' does
So why won't I be afraid of 'nothing'?

Oluwasina Niran
https://www.facebook.com/#!/niranneil?fref=ts

1 comment:

  1. 'these sentences come back to slap your face'...I love that :)

    ReplyDelete